INCEPTION has 3 major scientific and technological (S/T) objectives:
Objective 1:To create an inclusive understanding of European cultural identity and diversity by stimulating and facilitating collaborations across disciplines, technologies and sectors.
Objective 2:To develop cost-effective procedures and enhancements for on-site 3D survey and reconstruction of cultural heritage artefacts, buildings, sites and social environments.
- Enabling 3D digital reconstructions in an open-standard format for Heritage Building Information Model (HBIM). Such models will be easily accessible and reusable by researchers, scientists, experts and creative practitioners working in cultural and heritage industries in order to promote collaboration across sectors and facilitate cross-disciplinary researches, dissemination, education and business opportunities.
- Semantic integration of rich narratives with virtual and augmented realities to create accurate perception and deep understanding for specialists and common users. The accessibility and analytical quality of the models is supported by Semantic Web platform with Semantic Query function to retrieve rich data, as well as to interface between hardware and software for Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR).
- Developing user apps for mobile devices to access and enrich the H-BIM. These apps are designed for specialists as well as common users to access the socio-economic significance for diffusion, dissemination, knowledge and enhancement of Cultural Heritage. The apps will also enable the users to enrich the models by including their opinions and impressions in a semantic-wiki way. Demonstration will be done involving the members of Stakeholder Panel, for which the Exploitation and Business Plans will be developed.
- Substantially enhancing the efficiency of three-dimensional data capturing procedures and devices, especially their suitability and aptitude for the physical cultural resources and assets: cultural heritage sites, historical architectures, archaeological sites and artefacts that are characterized by smart handling of nonconventional characteristics, location and geometries.
- Developing new methods for condition assessment survey of cultural heritage which are based on predictive analysis (diagnostic, conservative, morphometric), non-destructive procedures (thermal imaging, level of reflectivity, integrated sensors, spectrophotometry, sonic surveys, etc.) and will be supported by economically sustainable technologies and devices.
- Essential optimisation of hardware and software instruments for easy scan system, rapid capture of main features/geometric data, and automated data output in an H-BIM environment.
To develop an open-standard Semantic Web platform for accessing, processing and sharing interoperable digital models resulting from 3D survey and data capturing.
- Developing a standard for managing 3D point clouds data at multiple scales from artefacts, buildings to environment and infrastructure, linked with GIS (Geo-spatial Information Systems).
- Defining an open-standard format and semantic ontology to generate high-quality, reliable and interoperable models of H-BIM (cultural Heritage Building Information Model).
- Developing and testing APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) to allow both definition, implementation and interoperability of various software and data models without compromising quality and functionality.
- Implementing multilevel database of 3D semantic models oriented towards various use cases, such as: understanding, enhancement, promotion, management, and enjoyment of cultural heritage and supporting conservation and restoration works.